Monday 24 September 2012

Ice Over It...

Many people have asked me about making the perfect icing for all sorts of different cakes, so I figured I would put my top tips on here for them and anyone else so that you can access them whenever you want!
To start with, every body needs a good butter cream recipe as a basis for their icing repertoire, and here's mine...

Butter Cream

Short of mixing icing sugar with water, Butter cream is definitely the simplest and also the most versatile icing and works great on all types of cakes - fairy cakes, victoria sponge, chocolate cake, and fruit cake to name a few.  But my main reason for using it is to decorate...it's great for piping and creating different designs on your cakes


To make yours, all you will need is:
150g Unsalted Butter (Softened)
300g Icing Sugar
5 tbsp Milk (at room temperature)
3tsp Vanilla Extract

Step 1.
Using a wooden spoon, beat your butter in a mixing bowl until soft.  Add the Icing sugar a small amount at a time mixing well as you go.

Step 2.
Add in the milk and beat well till you get a smooth slightly fluffy consistency.  (Use more/less milk dependant on how thick you need your butter cream for different reasons)  Add the vanilla extract and mix well.  To brighten up your cake, add a few drops of food colouring.

Step 3.
To make your icing look really nice, invest in a good piping set with a good collection of nozzles to make your cakes look extra professional.

Here are some of the cakes I have decorated with my trusty Butter Cream icing...





Let me know what you think and how you get on, an be sure to keep an eye out for all my other icing tips and recipes!!

 x


2 comments:

  1. Hello I have nominated you for the Liebster award!
    Please check out my blog for more details.
    Love Hanxxx

    www.countrybumpkinlover.blogspot.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post, I'm just starting to get into baking so this is really helpful. Thanks :Dxo

    http://tinks071296.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete